Monday, June 29, 2015

Tea cakes and lemonade

From a New York Times article about publicity for the new, not-new Harper Lee novel Go Set a Watchman:

“Everyone is curious as to whether it’s going to be anything like To Kill a Mockingbird, because that’s such a part of our culture,” said Liza Bernard, co-owner of Norwich Bookstore in Norwich, Vt., which will serve Mockingbird-inspired snacks, like tea cakes and lemonade, on July 14.
File under stuff white people do.

Here, from a defunct blog of that name, are macon d’s thoughts about Harper Lee’s other novel.

comments: 4

Fresca said...

There it is---some and more of what I so slowly struggled to figure out for myself.
Thanks for the link!

But I'm actually glad I hadn't seen the "stuff white people like" article before I tried to write out my own conclusions or I wouldn't have bothered (it's always so much easier to let someone else do the hard work).

Now I will go back and add the link to my post.

Michael Leddy said...

I was just going to send you the link if you hadn’t seen it yet. I didn’t even know that I’d find this piece there, but I read this blog regularly and had its title sticking in my head. So I went looking, and there it was.

The Crow said...

My head is still bobbing and my thoughts still spinning from the song, "What if the Tea Party Was Black."

Thank you for this Michael. And thanks to Fresca for what she wrote earlier about TKAM. Her post made me remember how uncomfortable TKAM made me feel when I read it the second time when in my late 30s - just couldn't but my finger on it then. Now, I can't take my finger off of it.

Michael Leddy said...

I just listened to the song and read the essay by Tim Wise. Much food for thought there.