Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Jack DeJohnette, Made in Chicago

Coming in January on ECM, Made in Chicago, a recording of a 2013 Chicago Jazz Festival concert with Jack DeJohnette, Muhal Richard Abrams, Larry Gray, Roscoe Mitchell, and Henry Threadgill. I’m excited to hear this music again: I’ve never before attended a performance that made it to disc.

Correction: I don’t know that I’ve ever attended a performance that made it to disc. I may have been in the audience for one or more of the tracks on Miles Davis’s We Want Miles. Not remembering which night of Miles’s three-night Boston 1981 run I was there for, I’ve never been able to figure it out. And besides, there were two shows each night —

But I know I was at the Jack DeJohnette concert.

How about you? Have you ever attended a performance that ended up on disc?

*

January 13, 2015: The release date has been reset as March 10.

A related post
Jack DeJohnette in Chicago

comments: 1

Chris said...

I was in the audience at Carnegie Hall when the Buena Vista Social Club played there in 1998, and I think parts of that concert were included in the Wim Wenders documentary. There's one scene of an impromptu a capella performance across the street from the hall before the show; I'm not on camera but I was standing a few feet away watching it.