Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick’s Day

What Irish capitol city (a dea o dea!) of two syllables and six letters, with a deltic origin and a nuinous end, (ah dust oh dust!) can boost of having a) the most extensive public park in the world, b) the most expensive brewing industry in the world, c) the most expansive peopling thoroughfare in the world, d) the most phillohippuc theobibbous paùpulation in the word: and harmonise your abecedeed responses?

James Joyce, Finnegans Wake (1939).
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day. I’m half Irish. Represent! Partly!

[Answers: a) Delfas, b) Dorhqk, c) Nublid, d) Dalway.]

comments: 4

The Reever said...

Mr. Leddy, So glad that I took the time to see VDP at the Hollywood Amoeba store last Thursday night. He opened with, "Op-por-tu-ni-ty" from the, "Jump" album. Damn, I regret not rummaging through the garage and my four orange crates of carefully preserved albums for my pristine copy of that LP which Mr. Parks could have signed along with the 45 I purchased at the venue. He played two songs from "Jump" and his arranging skills were on full display, and fully realized on his solo piano. (He was also accompanied by bass & drums.) He clearly took delight in the upbeat, celebratory lyrics of his tribute to Joel Chandler Harris's tales of Uncle Remus, with all the memories of a more innocent time which that entails. "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!" Indeed! The half hour show was free, and watching one of the legends command his instrument with such innate joy was a true pleasure. He mentioned Steve Young, one of my guitar idols, in his remarks, and we spoke briefly of that while he signed my copy of, "Dreaming of Paris" with cover art by Ed Ruscha. Out of respect for the artwork, Mr. Parks will only sign the inner sleeve. This seemed entirely appropriate for this man of immense artistic integrity, who has always been, "True to his own own Spirit." (Note: That is the inscription in latin on Jim Morrison's grave at the Pere Lachaise cemetary in Paris, but I digress.)In closing, if one of the current crop of Republican nit-wits were to propose foreign aid for Bananastan, I'm afraid even I might have to lend them an ear! By all means, go hear Van Dyke Parks if the opportunity presents itself. Warm Regards, Reeve Ricard
Burbank, CA.

Michael Leddy said...

Reeve, thanks for your account of the show. I got to hear Van Dyke in 2010 and wrote about it in this post. For those of us who love his music, it’s a dream come true that he has taken to the road.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve listened to “Opportunity for Two” and “Come Along” while walking to or from work. I sing along and don’t care who notices.

Dolores Connolly said...

La Fhéile Pádraig Shona Duit - happy St Patrick's Day to you Mr Leddy. I'm an Irish follower (from Dalway!) though I live in Australia. Soon there will be no one left in Ireland. "Would the last person out switch off the light!".
The Irish Echo down here published a little piece I wrote about the day. It's on my website where I have discussions with a giraffe called George.
I don't know why the world at large feels they have to get so inebriated on the day!
I enjoy your blog.
Dolores, Melbourne, Australia

Michael Leddy said...

“I don't know why the world at large feels they have to get so inebriated on the day!” That’s a good question. Here in Illinois, one bar owner has created unofficial Saint Patrick’s Day to get the business that would be lost when the day falls during spring break.

Thanks for reading, Dolores.