Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Doyald Young, Logotype Designer

From Doyald Young, Logotype Designer:

“To learn to draw a letter well takes a lot of time. I’ve been drawing letters since 1948, and I’m still learning how to draw.”
Dictionaries, pencils, pencil sharpeners: this beautifully made film has it (them) all.

Related reading
Doyald Young (his website)
Doyald Young, 84, Designer of Typefaces, Dies (New York Times)

comments: 4

Sean said...

"I'm delighted to say my life revolves around typography."

It's always great to encounter someone who loves what he or she does, and is seemingly so at peace with it.

Thanks for your post; the documentary was really nice.

Michael Leddy said...

“It’s always great”: I agree. Though I I know relatively little about it all, I find these typophiles tremendously inspiring.

Gunther said...

Amazing! I have seen only the first few minutes yet but I am already taken with the artist and his work. Thank you for sharing the link! The older I get the more I am fascinated by typography, especially when done with old technology. – I will let the readers of my blog know about it too.

Michael Leddy said...

Gunther, enjoy!