Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Everyday details in film

When I watch old movies, I always like looking at the details of everyday life as imagined on film. That's how I first noticed the snowglobe in Susan Alexander's boarding-house room in Citizen Kane. The cigarette-lighter and Bull Durham sack on Sam Spade's night-table in The Maltese Falcon, the signs strung across the drugstore in The Best Years of Our Lives, the sad furnishings of Garzah's room in The Naked City -- they all move me to hit Pause and undertake my own version of Cultural Studies. Here's something I just took in on the DVD release of The Grapes of Wrath -- the menu-board in a diner where the Joads stop to buy a loaf of bread (a 15¢ loaf, which they are able to buy for 10¢). The menu stands a silent commentary on the distance between the Joads and their dream of a better life:

T BONE STEAK   35
RIB STEAK   30
PORK CHOPS   25
ROAST CHICKEN   25
ROAST BEEF   25
ROAST LAMB   25
ROAST PORK   25
LIVER & ONIONS   25
BOILED HAM   25
COLD MEATS   25
STEW   15
SALADS   10
SOUP
PIES
COLD DRINKS
(The prices of the last three items are obscured by a counter display of lollipops.)

comments: 0