Thursday, February 17, 2005

How to improve writing (no. 6 in a series)

From a written statement by a school-board candidate withdrawing from an election (as reported in the local paper):

I am looking to make a sacrifice for the benefit of the April 5, 2005 election and understanding that I will be retaining the right for me and my qualified supporters to circulate future petitions so that I can pursue a future election in approximately two years or any election thereafter, to a position as a member of the [Name] Community Unit School District so long as I am a resident of that school district and otherwise qualified.
Note the unnecessary legalisms: "retaining the right," "qualified supporters," "any election thereafter."

Translation: Now is not the best time for me to run, but I might run again in a few years.

Link » Other How to improve writing posts, via Pinboard

comments: 0